As of July 2017, there are 11 federal agencies that participate in the SBIR/STTR programs. By law, any agency with more than $100m in research and development budget must allocate 3.2% (FY2017 budget) of their budget towards SBIR/STTR grants.
Following is a list of federal agencies (current as of February 2020, via the sbir.gov website).
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Commerce - National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Department of Commerce - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Department of Defese
- Department of Education
- Department of Energy
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of Transportation
- Environmental Protection Agency
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- National Science Foundation
This article builds on content developed by the Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship for MIT's Orbit Knowledgebase and is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.